How to connect to SQL server from Poshboard

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:15 PM
I would like to use Poshboard to graph data stored in a SQL database located on a server different from the one Poshboard is running on. The connection fails with the following message: "Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication." What account is being used to connect to the SQL server? I created a SVC_Poshboard domain account as suggested in the instructions and I though I granted sufficient SQL permission to that account. Could someone let me know what I should to do establish the connection? Thanks in advance.
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2010 at 4:17 PM
did you receive my response to the mail that you sent to me directly?

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Lucas9000 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I would like to use Poshboard to graph data stored in a SQL database located on a server different from the one Poshboard is running on. The connection fails with the following message: "Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication." What account is being used to connect to the SQL server? I created a SVC_Poshboard domain account as suggested in the instructions and I though I granted sufficient SQL permission to that account. Could someone let me know what I should to do establish the connection? Thanks in advance.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Poshboard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Poshboard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:53 PM
Edited Mar 26, 2010 at 9:43 PM
Yes, I did get your reply and manage to solve my problem, so I will post it here in case anybody else runs into the same issue: ================================== PoshBoard will either use the service account or the user account depending on the page configuration. You can chose Impersonation True or False (look at the configuration section for your page). True: Poshboard will use the user account (delegation) False: Poshboard will use the service account Warning: If you want to use delegation to execute code on a different server than the one Poshboard runs on, you will have to allow the Poshboard server to be "Trusted for Delegation", just like any other web application: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739764(WS.10).aspx Or set Impersonation to False and use the service account. Or you could also define which account to use with the following method: http://geekswithblogs.net/Lance/archive/2007/02/16/106518.aspx" ================================== I chose the service account option: I had already created a service account but it was a local user so I deleted it and created a domain user. I then had to open IIS Manager>Application Pools and change the Identity of the PoshBoard application to match the newly created account. On the page that needs access to the database, I set Impersonation to False. Using SQL Server Management Studio, I added a login for the service account and gave it the appropriate permissions to access the database. Now it works! Thanks again for your help.